Smart Guys

"I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

"Learning should be a joy and full of excitement. It is life's greatest adventure; it is an illustrated excursion into the mind of noble and learned men, not a conducted tour through a jail."
-Taylor Caldwell


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein


Saturday, June 16, 2012

Huh, so that's what kohlrabi looks like inside.

I wasn't paying too close attention when I was putting my CSA shares away.  What I thought was fennel turned out to be kohlrabi ( I guess I didn't notice that the little frondy part was missing, lol!) and what I thought were turnips were actually these beautiful chioggia beets and golden beets:


They looked so lovely, I had to juice them with some grapefruits and drink them immediately:



Mmmmmm!  Need to make some more of that!  I hope we get more beets next week!

Last night, my sister Laura and I were talking about how since we're eating gluten-free, we have a tendency to want to wrap everything up in lettuce.  I got some gorgeous green leaf lettuce today, so I made a tuna salad with a little mayo, dijon mustard, green onions, carrots and slivered almonds and wrapped it up like a burrito with some extra large lettuce leaves.  I could eat these things till the cows come home.  So yum!


So, next I decided to make something with my "fennel".  I took it out of the fridge and thought, "Something's wrong with this fennel."  Then I noticed the leaves were all wrong and realized it was kohlrabi.  I've never cooked with kohlrabi before, so I went online and looked up a few recipes and decided to make this soup.  It's pretty delicious.  






No comments:

Post a Comment