Smart Guys

"I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

"Learning should be a joy and full of excitement. It is life's greatest adventure; it is an illustrated excursion into the mind of noble and learned men, not a conducted tour through a jail."
-Taylor Caldwell


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein


Thursday, July 26, 2012

New Scrapbooking Room!

I'm thrilled to be finished with the redecorating/reorganizing of my scrapbooking room!  Just in the nick of time for our German exchange student who will be arriving this evening!

Here are some before pics from shortly after I started dismantling the room.

This had been a little boy's room when we moved in 6 years ago.   I never changed the paint or the window treatments.

My brother helped me put up these wire shelves when we moved in to hold my scrapbooking stuff, but they were not sufficient.  I guess I acquired more stuff over the years, too.

The TV was always a thorn in my side.  It took up precious space and was inconvenient to view from the whole room.  I originally put it in there so that the kids could watch movies while I scrapbooked, and that plan did work out well when they were little.  Now they can watch movies in their own room, and they don't want to hang out with me 24/7 like before.

I wanted a guest bed in the room, so I bought this daybed frame shortly after we moved in.  It was the cheapest thing I could find at the time, but I never really liked it.  It was coming apart, too, so it was time for it to go.

I had small bookshelves in this corner with more scrapbooking stuff on them, but I had already taken them down when I realized I should take some "before" shots.

Here was my little personal corner.  I had all the important stuff within reach, so I could just swivel around and get it while working.  It worked for me for a while, but now I have too much stuff and it was difficult to unstack everything while I was working.


Since my life now revolves around Pinterest, I started gathering ideas and pinned them onto this board. I liked the look of the hot pink, bright orange, and lime green together, and since I already had some lime green things, I decided to go with those colors.  I loved the treatment they did to the shades in this picture, so I decided to try it.  I love how the room turned out.  It's fun and cheery and it will work out well for scrapbooking and guests.

Here's the new look:

I really like how the colors look together.  The second craft table is also stored under the bed.

My sister Nellie made me this most excellent duvet cover.  I got the new bed at Ikea, and finally made some scrapbook pages to put in those 3 frames that I've had forever.

I added a cord trim to the window treatments (different from Pinterest idea), and made a little valence from balsa wood and fabric, which I hot glued to a curtain rod.  Nellie's scrapbooking stuff is on this wall.  We can put the second table up next to mine and she can just swivel around to get to her stuff when she wants to join me.

To the right is the wall that the bed used to be on.  I got the Antonius shelves at Ikea, and they are perfect for my stuff. In this picture, I have the table pulled out like I would when I'm working.

In the corner, I hung the Ikea shoe bins that I had in my other little corner.  I'm keeping some paper, photos, and other supplies in them.  I also hung my Cricut mats on a hook.

View of my work area from the other side.

Here the table is pushed back against the wall to give more access in and out of the room when not crafting.

Nellie convinced me to paint the built in dresser green, and I'm so glad I listened.  It looks adorable.  My mom gave me her old small flat TV, and I ran the wires around the bottom of the closet to the plugs and cable, and it is awesome.  No more big clunky TV in the way.

Pretty soon my whole house will look like an Ikea catalog.  This bag holder and the storage cups are all from Ikea.

Got this idea from Pinterest.  Glued a cookie sheet to the bottom of a shelf and glued magnets to the bottom of the glitter glue bottles.  I think I need stronger magnets, though, because a slight bump will knock them down.

I hope our guests will enjoy staying in here, and I can't wait to invite some friends over to scrapbook with me in my new room!

9 comments:

  1. Lynne-- I LOVE IT!!! You did an amazing job and the colors a so cool! It is definatly a HAPPY Place :-). And we all know scrapbooking takes us to our happy place anyways :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Enjoy your new room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Can I pin it to my homeschool room dreaming board? I'm trying to re-do a room right now and while I don't plan to be quite as bold color-wise, you are an inspiration!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! Yes, feel free to pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, when can I come scrap???
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we should wait until Anja goes home. She might not like us taking over her room! lol! You know I'm always up for some scrappin' Beth. Are you coming to Croptoberfest?

      Delete
  6. My 3 year old would love to get her hands on those puffy paints! :) Cool room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good info. Lucky me I found your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
    I've book marked it for later!
    my site :: erinmore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, what a blog it is! This blog presents useful information to us, keep it
    up.
    Also see my web site: bostaditurkiet.net

    ReplyDelete