Smart Guys

"I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

"Learning should be a joy and full of excitement. It is life's greatest adventure; it is an illustrated excursion into the mind of noble and learned men, not a conducted tour through a jail."
-Taylor Caldwell


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein


Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pinterest, the food edition

I've been pinning so many recipe ideas on Pinterest, that I thought I'd better make a separate entry for the food stuff.  Here's a link to my I did it board for the recipes.

Here's what I made today:

Sweet Corn & Quinoa w/ Honey Lemon Vinaigrette.



This is definitely the best tasting quinoa recipe I've ever tried!  So tasty!

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup, also very delicious:


I had some organic uncured hot dogs, so I made the kids a hot dog octopus and sea serpent sitting on a sea bed of corn.  They thought it was cute.


These stuffed avocados are so easy and so delicious!



Updated 5/22:

I haven't been doing too much from Pinterest lately, but here are some of the things I took to my scrapbooking weekend a couple of weeks ago:

Cheesy Tex Mex rice.  The original recipe didn't call for ground beef, but I added it for more protein.  Robin and I gobbled this up for lunch on Saturday.

This was my tray of rainbow veggies to go along with the pepper octopus in the tzatziki dip, of which I apparently forgot to take a picture.

I'd say my fruit kabobs were the biggest hit of the snack table.  They were pretty yummy.
Updated 6/4/12:

Yesterday was a cooking day.  I made lots of food, but only a couple of things from Pinterest:

Another round of Cheesy Tex Mex Rice- it came out a little differently this time.

Cheesy quinoa breakfast bars- with spinach and green onion.  Pretty good.

Sweet and spicy cucumber salad, but I added some turnips that I got at the farmer's market.



Updated 6/29/12:



Banana, Pineapple and Coconut Milk Popsicle.  The coconut milk really cuts the sweetness of the banana and pineapple. Very refreshing!
Updated 7/5/12:


Cabbage wedge, draped in bacon, wrapped in foil, and baked.  Make this now!  It is so delicious!
Updated 11/9/12:

Raw Thai salad- I adapted it a little from the original recipe.  I put sugar snap peas, peas shoots, cilantro and fresh mint into the food processor and pulsed until they were chopped.  Then I used the food processor to grate a zucchini. I mixed all that together, and added lime juice (couldn't find tamarind), a little agave and a little rice vinegar.  Topped with sliced cucumber and mango chunks.  Very fresh and alive tasting!


Updated 11/10/12:


These are collard green rolls.  I changed the recipe slightly, using regular hummus instead of sweet pea hummus.  So, inside the collard leaf is hummus, quinoa cooked in vege broth, arugula, red peppers, and cucumbers.  Very good.


This is a zucchini "pasta" salad.  It has sliced zucchini and yellow squash,  parsley (recipe called for basil, but I forgot to get some), baby tomatoes of different colors, chopped pistachios, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a tad of kosher salt.

Updated 1/19/2013
Creamy Avocado Vinaigrette
Banana, oatmeal, yogurt and almond breakfast smoothie

Updated 2/9/13


Acorn squash stuffed with apples, chestnuts, and leeks.  Very fall feeling.  And very yummy.
Crash hot sweet potatoes.  Mine did not come out as pretty as the ones on Pinterest.  They taste good, but I think I'd need to double the amount of spices to get them how they looked on Pinterest.

Updated 2/11/13
Oatmeal Banana Walnut Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bake
Before

All baked- Soooo good!
Quinoa, Black Bean, Avocado salad


No comments:

Post a Comment