Smart Guys

"I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

"Learning should be a joy and full of excitement. It is life's greatest adventure; it is an illustrated excursion into the mind of noble and learned men, not a conducted tour through a jail."
-Taylor Caldwell


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein


Sunday, September 29, 2013

All in a day's work

Well, it appears that all-day Sunday cook-a-thons are going to be the only way to deal with all the produce until CSA season is over.  It was nice to have all the things I made last Sunday to eat throughout the week.  I'm sure I'll be glad for this Sunday's food, too.

So, first, I chopped and washed a bunch of salad greens so that I can easily pack a salad for lunch every day.
This gorgeous red cabbage came out of my garden this morning.

I shredded the cabbage in my Cuisinart, and it was positively purple.  Can't wait to toss some of this on my salad.


I also chopped up celery, jicama, peppers, radishes, and green onions to toss into my salads.

I had bought supplies to make lasagna with brown rice noodles, so I thought I'd carmelize the beautiful eggplant and one of the onions from the CSA to add to the lasagna.

The lasagna turned out quite delicious, if I do say so myself.
This is going to be a high-cal week! Lol!

I used up all the pasta sauce for the lasagna, and wanted something to put over the spaghetti squash that I baked in the oven, so I used some lemon balm from my garden, leeks and garlic from the CSA and peppers.
I added some chopped tomatoes from my garden, and made it all into a ragout.

The ragout over the squash was yummy!


I used the rest of the CSA garlic, CSA potatoes, & CSA green beans to make this scrumptious mix.

I chopped up a bunch of mixed kinds of peppers to ferment.

Mashed sweet potatoes!  I mixed in some butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, molasses, & maple syrup.  It's like a dessert.

Everything ready in the crockpot for overnight oatmeal- oats, raisins, cinnamon, allspice, fresh grated ginger, and some of the apples from the CSA share.  Breakfast should be good.

1 comment: