Smart Guys

"I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught."
-Winston Churchill

"Learning should be a joy and full of excitement. It is life's greatest adventure; it is an illustrated excursion into the mind of noble and learned men, not a conducted tour through a jail."
-Taylor Caldwell


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein


Friday, February 17, 2012

Pinterest


I'm going to keep updating this post to add all the things I do from ideas I pinned on Pinterest.  Link

Today, I made the kids owl sandwiches and we made Harry Potter cupcakes for tomorrow's "Harrathon".  We are finishing book 6 tonight, so tomorrow, we are going to watch movies 1-6!  The kids are so excited!

Anyway, here are my version of the ideas I got from Pinterest:



Owl Sandwiches



We skipped the cute cucumber and pretzel trees, because neither kid likes cucumbers, and I didn't have any pretzels.
Harry Potter Cupcakes

This first tray was made by the 9 yr. old.  There are Arthur Weasley, Tom the Barman, Marcus Flint, Vincent Crabbe, Neville Longbottom, Professor Quirrel, Sirius, Lily Potter, Rookwood, Flitwick, Borgin, Ollivander & Viktor Krum among them.

These next two cupcake photos belong to the 7 yr. old.  I'm not sure which is which, but I know there is a Molly Weasley, a Lucius Malfoy, a Hermione, Buckbeak, Bellatrix Lestrange, Voldemort and a Ginny Weasley in there.



These are mine- from top to bottom:  Tonks, Luna Lovegood, Madame Pomfrey, Snape, Hagrid, Lee Jordan, Fred & George with the fireworks they set off upon leaving Hogwarts between them, Harry, a Snitch and Ron.


Updated 2/20/12:

Harry Potter Spell Books.  I didn't put them in little photo albums like on Pinterest, but I laminated them and put rings on them.  I need to get smaller rings, but I used what I had for now.
Updated 2/27/12: 

I did a couple of the language arts paint chip projects from Pinterest- making contractions and synonyms.  It was kind of weird to walk out of Lowe's with that many paint chips, but we did it!


Updated 3/1/12:
They have to guess what's inside the box after 3 clues.


Hanging bookmarks.  Andrew insisted that I needed one of myself.  He took the photo of me, and both of them thought it was hilarious that my belly button was showing.



Updated 3/4/12:


Slice potatoes almost all the way through.  Put sliced garlic in between some of the slices, drizzle with butter and olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake.  Delicious!


Updated 3/5/12:

We made synonym rolls!  The boys loved this project!





Updated 3/11/12:

Glow in the dark bath!  Such fun!










Updated 3/13/12:

Angry Verbs stories:

Andrew's story

I had asked for one full page, but Ed really got into this assignment and did 4 pages.

Here's a close up of the first two pages.

Updated 3/16/12:


Pot of gold Rolos at the end of Twizzler rainbow.  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Cinnamon roll pancakes.  Need to try again because my cinnamon mixture was too runny.  The kids liked them, though.

Angry Birds snacks.




Andrew doesn't like Baby Bel cheese, so he got yellow birds made from tortilla chips.  I used slices of prune instead of nori, also.

Updated 3/19:

Star Wars breakfast, with a few modifications:



No matter what I do, I can't get this picture to load right side up.

Updated 3/30/12:


Music notes and rests, learning the count:








Scrabble tiles in chicky eggs.  They made words out of the letters.




Updated 4/3/12:

Breggfast!







Updated 6/10/12:

I didn't know whether to put this on the Food Edition or not, so I just put it here.  I made Jamie Oliver's flavored water recipes.

The citrus one was yummy and popular, but the strawberry mint one was not that great. I think it would taste better with iced tea.  Anyway, I kept forgetting to take pictures today, so here's what's left of a batch of the citrus water:



2 comments:

  1. You my sister are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the owl sandwiches. I couldn't find the trees you were talking about. I have to force myself not to even look at Pinterest. Way too dangerous for me!

    Seeing your cupcakes, I remembered that I left my blue tray at your house after New Years. It's a great tray. Can I get it back one day? I don't have any other trays. No rush. I can't even remember where I got it.

    ReplyDelete